Platform/ Site Reliability Engineer
Who we are
Infinity Works is a leading software, IT and Digital engineering consultancy. We help our clients solve hard technical problems in a wide variety of domains using a diverse set of technology stacks.
We're looking for people with the soul of an engineer; people who’ll roll up their sleeves and get stuck into the kind of projects where others fear to tread.
It may sound daunting, but it’s fun too – we work hard, but we play hard as well. Because when we do something great, we’re not shy about celebrating it. If you'd like to read more about Infinity Works, head over to our website: www.infinityworks.com.
Why are we hiring?
We've got some fantastic customers working with exciting technologies such as:
- AWS, Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
- Python/ PHP/ Go/ Scala/ Ruby/ Node.js
- Concourse CI
But we are more than just software... we are full stack engineers. You will regularly be working on the latest platforms using the best DevOps tooling including Terraform, Prometheus and deploying-to, tuning and operating popular cloud platforms including AWS, Azure and Google Cloud Platform. We don't expect applicants to have depth of experience in all cases. We love investing in our employees to enable them to grow into full stack engineers across multiple platforms & languages.
Our engineers often contribute to our infrastructure, this is vital to how our self sustaining teams operate. For this Platform / SRE role though were keen to take on candidates with a keen eye for detail, those who have experience in designing and managing complex platforms at scale in the cloud.
To quote Google's definition of an SRE, one which we strongly agree with;
"SRE is also a mindset and a set of engineering approaches to running better production systems - we build our own creative engineering solutions to operations problems. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. As SREs are responsible for the big picture of how our systems relate to each other, we use a breadth of tools and approaches to solve a broad spectrum of problems. Practices such as limiting time spent on operational work, blameless postmortems and proactive identification of potential outages factor into iterative improvement that is key to both product quality and interesting and dynamic day-to-day work"
What's in it for me?
You begin life at Infinity Works as a SRE, but the aim is to broaden your skills and become a technology polyglot, excited to learn new technologies and techniques across the full technical stack and product life cycle.
You will primarily be focused on designing, implementing and maintaining platforms at scale, in the cloud. You are at home with software languages, Internet related technologies, protocols along with lean / agile development techniques and DevOps culture all working as part of a team.
Above all, you can help drive these platforms forward with your knowledge and focus. And understand the difference between engineering and over-engineering
What level is the role?
We try to operate the flattest company structure possible, that said we recognise progression is important to our staff. As a consultancy, this is measured by the value we deliver to our customers. The below table operates as a rough guide of the how our positions stack up. We're hiring at all levels:
We're looking for a engineers with primary skills in Infrastructure as code, as well as exposure to a number of other technologies. You will have worked around multiple parts of the project/product lifecycle.
Things we're looking for:
- Demonstrated experience with platforms at scale.
- Exposure to virtualisation or container technology like Docker, Kubernetes and Vagrant
- Experience with IaaS services such as Amazon Web Services, Rackspace, Google Cloud Platform or similar.
- Source code management systems such as Git, build tools such as Maven and CI tools such as Jenkins or Concourse.
- Several years engineering enterprise services in multiple industries.
- Experience of working in a team with a DevOps culture surrounded by lean / agile delivery methodologies.
- Log management and analysis solutions such as ELK stack, loggly, Splunk, Sumo Logic and monitoring tools such as Zabbix, Nagios, New Relic, Prometheus or similar.
- Experience with development languages such as PHP, Scala, Go, C++, C#, Python, Ruby, Node.js, scripting language such as Bash would also be beneficial.
We believe that our team should be rewarded for their efforts, so we offer a great salary along with a number of things that are designed to make life just a little easier.
- Competitive Salary
- Company Pension Scheme
- Contributory Private Health Care
- Death in Service (x4 salary)
- Hiring Bonuses (Referral scheme)
- Discounted Rail Season Tickets
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Financial Advice Service
- My Work/Life Solutions Voucher Scheme
A Career, Not a Job
At Infinity Works we work hard to ensure that nobody gets stuck in a rut doing the same old thing. We strive to learn something new every day put those new skills use as soon as possible. Our varied client base and technology agnostic approach to problem solving means we regularly offer our staff new challenges without having to hit the job market and start over.
For more information on this role, or any of our other roles, please contact;